As with my recent post on Energy, today’s post is essentially just a random list of beliefs I hold on a specific topic. There really is no specific purpose behind this post, other than it happens to be an idea I had to collect some thoughts for a more thorough article some time later…
Before I begin though, I feel it would be helpful to include a few facts about my political views:
- I considered myself fiscally conservative and socially liberal for many years. As I began to pay more attention to politics I became very cynical about both parties.
- I used to believe that what was best for the country was to have a separation of power (Dem in the white-house and GoP controlling congress or vice/versa). I no longer think that is in the best short term interest of the country, but in the future it may once again be true.
- Currently I consider myself to be a very Liberal Democrat who also agrees with a number of Libertarian ideas.
And on to my random general thoughts on politics in the US:
- Both parties have many flaws that are deeply ingrained in them.
- The use of the word “both” was not a typo or oversight; there are really only two parties in US Politics right now (sorry Libertarians, and others who want a viable 3rd party).
- Having more viable parties would be in the best interest of the country (more choice is almost always a good thing).
- While the “religious right” have given the Republican party much of their power over the last three decades, it will be the demise of the GoP.
- Very few (close to 0%) politicians can be trusted for what they say.
- To be an educated voter you must ignore what politicians say and look at their record and actions.
- The top two goals for the current administration (and congress) is to bring our troops home as soon as possible, and to turn the economy around. Anything they do that is not working towards those goals is a distraction and should be treated as secondary.
- For the long term stability of the country we should be working towards a balanced budget and paying down our national debt.
- By the end of Obama’s term in January 2017 we need to have the budget balanced (or at least be on track for a balanced budget soon into the next administration).
- One of the goals of government should be to protect it’s citizens. Not just from military threats and crime, but from poverty, sickness, and bigotry.
- While Libertarians have many good ideas on fiscal responsibility, I do not believe they have a realistic view of human nature.
- While Democrats have many good ideas on social ideals, I believe they need to be more aware of fiscal issues and government responsibility on fiscal policy.
- While Republicans have… Nope, I can’t say they have good ideas… I believe they are a thoroughly corrupt group; who if given a chance would impose (with violence in many cases) their religious beliefs on the public, promote ignorance, and encourage intolerance.